Saturday, October 27, 2018

Canada's Triple Crown

The sun came out again for us on the last day and we had that 
unusual combo of fall color and snow.

Triple Crown
9x12
oil

I took out my last 9x12 panel after the first painting,
divided it in half and did some quick value studies of
the same scene using different colors.

I know this sounds odd because so many painters go out
and work on color studies that match the scene, but all I
think about is value and pushing colors to match 
my own vision, mood, or sense of harmony.
In fact I make an effort to not be influenced by local color,
like a green tree for example.
I'm more of an impressionist than a tonalist because it's
what I enjoy the most.
There is no right or wrong here.


These each took about 20 minutes and it's a great way to 
clean up your palette after a painting trip!

Thanks for following along.



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking us along on this magnificent journey Bruce! Every entry and all of the images are a delight....I've been to that part of the world and you have captured it with such 'effortless ease' in all its majesty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Donna! So nice of you to take the time to comment! I miss seeing you.

      Delete
  2. I like your description of why you are an impressionist more than a tonalist. (Me too.) You have captured the feeling of air and light better than a camera which records it accurately but usually without the "feeling" and the feeling is what it is usually all about for me. I have LOVED following your trip thru paint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - thank you for your newsletter. I always love to read about your adventures in painting. I still think about our Nancy T workshop in Austin when I met you - I am learning every day!

    ReplyDelete